(Essential Duo Instructions are the same as Kefir- *see FAQ below*)
1. Into a container (preferably glass with an airtight lid), mix entire foil
package of room temperature kefir and one quart of milk or
young coconut water that has been heated to skin temperature
(about 92 degrees).
*IMPORTANT* If using goat's milk, use two cups milk and entire package of starter for the initial batch. After that you may make as much as you want depending on how much liquid is transferred from the previous batch (transfer ratios listed below).
2.Whisk and stir well. Put the lid on the container
3. It is important to Ferment at 72-75 F for 18 to 24 hours.
It will thicken (slightly clumpy) and have a distinct sour aroma.
4. Once thickened, shake or stir vigorously and refrigerate
Kefir still ferments in the refrigerator, but the process is slower
Transfer Instructions (Best to make tranfers within 3 days)
Before you finish drinking your initial batch begin the second by
taking out some(see below for ratio) of the initial batch and combining with freshly warmed milk. You may repeat this approximately seven times before you will need another foil packet. Body Ecology’s unique kefir starter contains strong, viable lactobacillus bacteria and two strains of beneficial yeast that are unusually hardy, making the transfer process possible. This is only found with our starters.
1 quart use 6 tablespoons of previous batch
1/2 gallon use 2/3 cup or previous batch
1 gallon use 1 cup of previous batch
*these transfer ratios also apply to goat’s milk & coconut water
Do not add more than recommended amounts of previous batch. This will result in a taste more sour than you may prefer.
Making Kefir Cheese
1. Make Kefir as Instructed, but let the freshly made kefir remain at room temperature for several hours longer. The curds (milk protein) will separate from the whey.
2. Line a strainer with cheesecloth. Place strainer over bowl and pour the curds and whey mixture through the strainer. The strainer will catch the “cheese” or curds and the whey will go into the bowl. Place the strainer and bowl into your refrigerator and let it drain for several more hours. Store in covered container for up to 5 days.
*WARNING* Once Kefir is placed into the refrigerator and cooled, the fermentation process is inhibited. You CANNOT then bring it back out to room temperature to turn into cheese
Uses for Kefir Cheese
This cheese is excellent tossed into salads. It is also delicious flavored (e.g. chopped onions, garlic, sea salt, fresh herbs) and served with an assortment of raw vegetables.
Uses for Whey
Body Ecology recommends soaking all your grains before cooking them. This makes them more digestable and releases the Phytic Acid. Several tablespoons of the Microflora-rich whey can be added to your soaking water
In Europe whey is sold as a delicious beverage. Try sweetening it with Body Ecology’s Liquid Stevia Concentrate, flavored with non-alcoholic flavorings, or fresh lemon or lime juice.
Young Coconut Kefir is a discovery unique to Body Ecology. It has quickly become one of our favorite medicinal drinks! Young Coconut Kefir is an important probiotic, alkalizing and mineral-rich fermented food. Start drinking Young Coconut Kefir immediately in the early stages of the Body Ecology Diet. In fact, you’ll soon find that with its abundance of exceptionally powerful and beneficial microflora. It will help you establish your inner ecosystem.